The spread and symptoms of COVID-19 (coronavirus):
– COVID-19 symptoms are similar to influenza symptoms.
– The virus may cause coughing, fever and trouble breathing.
– The virus spreads through human contact and is a droplet infection, spreading mostly through close contact with a virus suspect who exhibits symptoms similar to the virus, primarily cough.
– The incubation period of the virus is 2–14 days and the average is 5 days.
– As there is still some uncertainty about the spread of the virus and the symptoms, stricter measures are implemented as a precaution.
– One of the most important preventive measures of coronavirus infection is proper hand hygiene.
Recommendations by the World Health Organization for protection against the virus:
– The infected person should stay in a room which can be ventilated (windows and doors can be opened)
– The infected person should move around in the household as little as possible. It must be possible to ventilate the rooms afterwards.
– The people in the same household should keep distance from the infected person (at least 1 meter) or stay in separate rooms/beds.
– The infected person should be taken care of by one designated person in good health and with no chronic diseases or diseases indicative of immunodeficiency.
– Hand washing and disinfection is necessary after contact with the infected person or any items around them.
– Use paper towels or cloth towels to dry your hands (wash wet towels immediately and replace with a dry one).
– The infected person and the person caring for him/her should wear a mask for protection! When sneezing and coughing, disposable handkerchiefs should be used or the mouth and nose covered with a handkerchief. All personal protection equipment must be disposed of or washed after use!
– Make sure to wash and disinfect any surfaces used daily!
– Disinfect phones and tablets as well!
– Disinfect remote controls (including for toys)!
– Disinfect door handles, handrails and switches!
– The patient’s clothes, bedsheets, etc. must be washed in a washing-machine at 60–90 °C!